The term “waste wood” refers to every wooden product that has been used
at least for once as commercial product and remains now as waste for disposal or
recycling / reuse :
- Old or destroyed furniture
- Demolition and
- Boxes and pallets
- Old power poles
Waste wood thermal recycling
- The waste wood quantities are equally distributed in all continents, compared
to the oil and natural gas reserves.
- The wood combustion has neutral CO2 emissions balance.
- The extensive use of waste wood in industrial boilers contributes to the
substitution of fossil fuels by a renewable energy source and, consequently, to
the preservation of domestic fuel resources.
- The European Union is preparing Directives, which will enforce the radical
reduction of biodegradable municipal solid waste quantities that are disposed of
by landfilling. Therefore the need for material and energy recovery from waste
will become in the near future more and more necessary.
The co-combustion of waste wood and lignite is technically feasible in
industrial facilities with moving grate of fluidised bed furnace, meeting in
parallel the legislative limits for the pollutant emissions.
Waste wood is a promising option for industrial and district heating boilers.
This is particularly true for wood processing industries
The development of solid waste management companies, which will collect and
transform the waste wood into an easy to handle bio-fuel, will contribute
significantly to the increase of the share of waste wood combustion in the
energy balance of Greece.